KARACHI: The Chairman, FPCCI Standing Committee on Hotels 2018 Mr. Mohammad Anwar Qureshi called on its first meeting on April 11, 2018 held at FPCCI Head Office Clifton, Karachi.
The meeting was attended by Mr. Zubair Baweja, Senior Vice Chairman of Committee, Mr. Zubair Surti, Chairman, Pakistan Hotels Association, Dr. Mirza Ikhtiar Baig, Chairman Baig Group, Mr. Abdul Sami Khan, Chairman, FPCCI Standing Committee on Petroleum Products 2018 along with many other Members of Standing Committee on Hotels, mostly from PHA Member hotels.
The core issues being faced by the Hospitality Industry of Pakistan were taken up as agenda of meeting to redress these issues, i.e.
1) Revival of SRO 575 for import of Hotel Equipments at concessionary rates, which is only available in Gwadar area and it needs to be available for entire country keeping in view the CPEC activities resulting need of more hotels of international standards in the country.
2) Members also demanded that the Government to consider allotment of land for hotel projects at government rates to the existing and new hotel operators.
3) Committee also stressed that Sindh Hotels and Restaurants Act 2018 for which PHA proposed amendments haveal ready been provided, be implemented with Association’s recommendation, which have been prepared in consultation with distinguished and experienced hoteliers having vast experience of hotel industry. They demanded that PHA proposed amendments for Act should be given due consideration and FPCCI to play its role immediately.
4) Standing Committee expressed that many Tourism events hosted by the government and other tourism boards should have due nomination from PHA for all such kind of Tourism Boards for a true representation of hotel industry.
5) Members also stressed FBR to consider rationalization of taxes for hotel industry as industry is under great burden of taxes at federal, provincial, local, excise.
6) Next follow up meeting to be held before Ramzan.